Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Rhythmic Obedience of EDM


The article “On Popular Music” by Adorno touches the subject of popular vs. serious music. Adorno was concerned about effects of mass media in music and how it reaches out to mass audience, as well as how it’s related to capitalism. One of the most interesting parts of this article for me was, The Social Cement. In this part of the article, Adorno argues that pop music acts as “social cement” it basically is brainwashing the people into accepting limited impoverished and unhappy lives. In fact, people are aware of the unhappiness of their lives and use the music as a release.  He specifically elaborates about a type of social cement; rhythmic obedient, which is the mechanically, collectivity of the beat of the song. As I read this part of the article I couldn’t help but relate it to myself. I love EDM (electronic dance music) and most of this genre of music there is no lyrics to the songs, is all about the beat. With EDM the most important part is the beat or bass drop. It basically is repletion of multiple beats. So I started thinking am I just obeying  to the beat of EDM and just going with the crowed ,paying attention to one DJ while  losing my individuality. I have been to many EDM concerts all around the country and there is parts in the festivals when the DJ’s playing that everyone becomes one and gets lost in the beats. All united as one ,experiencing one feeling, but I don’t necessarily see that as something bad. I guess in a way EDM is an escape of daily release, but isn’t all music an escape?  If  you look at it that way, I guess we are all just stuck in a rhythmic obedient point. I thought this article was very interesting and a little mind blowing.  EDM is becoming one of the  most powerful genre around, so I wonder if Adorno was alive today what would his thoughts on EDM be?

No comments:

Post a Comment