Wednesday, September 24, 2014

He's a Damn Music Critic, Listen to Him!

After reading Theodor Adorno’s “On Popular Music,” all I could do was disagree with him on his theories regarding popular music.  I was just confused, at first. I was asking my self, how can all popular music, in lack for a better terms, be all the same?  I just couldn't wrap my head around what Adorno was trying to preach.  All of the popular music songs don’t necessarily sound the same, so what is Adorno trying to sell to his audience?  

To the average listener, every song on the radio is amazing.  But truthfully, that might be because every song on the radio is the same…When I say “the same,” Im talking about the musical build of the songs: in terms of the notes, chords, and the anticipation build-up to the chorus.

I still wasn’t convinced of his theory.  But then, I remembered a YouTube video I found back when I was in Middle School.  The video does a GREAT job of representing what Theodore Adorno is trying to state in his theory regarding popular music.


The video is a basically a mash-up of Ke$ha’s song, Tik Tok, and Katy Perry’s song, California Gurls.  Now, before I post the link, I want to make it clear that I do not actively listen to Ke$ha, nor Katy Perry. No hating on them, they just aren't in my field of listening.


Well look at that, Mr. Theodor Adorno is correct on his theories concerning popular music after all!

These two songs are exactly the same. They just two have different sets of lyrics.

I'm convinced...

1 comment:

  1. Michael I was totally going to show that in class tuesday but i forgot!

    ReplyDelete