Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thursday's Reading- Celebrity Image


In this week’s reading “Stars as Specific Images” Richard Dyer talks about how celebrities are portrayed according to promotion, publicity, films, and criticisms. We see these used all the time with today’s celebrities all the time. So I very much agree with the article and Dyers ideas. I think celebrities are used so much in various TV commercials and Ads because it helps sell an objects, people view it as “if this famous person, like Kate Walsh, dyes her hair with Garnier box dye, so can I”. This is beneficial toward the Gariner but also add to her image as a celebrity, saying that she endorses the use of box hair dye. Honestly, I think she does it for publicity aspects as a job, because what rich person would choose to use a cheap box hair dye, when they can get beautiful salon dye. Also, I think it is a way of humanizing her image. To say although she is a rich and famous celeb, she’s just like the average woman trying to stay beautiful. Celebrities today I feel are most shaped or formed by publicity. Publicity is huge whether it is true or not. Publishing’s in magazines, online, or even news coverage all comment and add to celebs image. Often times I feel like they have very harsh and bring down some of the celebrities or falsely portray them as people by leaking false or person information. I feel like this happens all the time with Kim Kardashian. I feel like media is always portraying her as a bad person, with bad publicity. But, do they really know the type of person she really is, do we? We only get and know of how media shapes and tells us she is as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment