Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Jennifer Lawrence and Feminism

At the end of class today we discussed when sex appeal was okay. We all mutually agreed as a class that Megan Fox was being viewed through the male gaze, it was a little disturbing, while when Beyonce was pole dancing, she was being a fierce feminist.  We discussed the difference between the situations and the fine like between what is okay and what is not.  Our discussion got me thinking to a few weeks back when Jennifer Laurence's nude photos were leaked.

Jennifer said, "It is not a scandal. It is a sex crime, It is a sexual violation. It’s disgusting." She continues by saying "Anybody who looked at those pictures, you’re perpetuating a sexual offense. You should cower with shame. Even people who I know and love say, ‘Oh, yeah, I looked at the pictures.’ I don’t want to get mad, but at the same time I’m thinking, I didn’t tell you that you could look at my naked body.”

Jenn then appeared in Vanity Fair with these photos: 





The difference between the leaked photos and the magazine photos are Jennifer's consent: the way a woman wants to be viewed versus the way a man views her. Beyonce made a personal decision as a performer to be viewed pole dancing and as a sexual being. She wanted to make a statement that said, "I am beautiful and sexy because I want to be."

I don't think feminism is over because the discussion Jennifer Laurence brings up is still going on. Women are still not being viewed the way they want to be viewed, and progress is still being made.

No comments:

Post a Comment